Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Testing 1, 2, 3, Testing...

I hate testing...I really do, except when the test goes well. :-)  Thankfully the Metabolic Efficiency Testing Jeff Capobianco conducted proved pretty easy and I passed it with flying colors.  With that said, it wasn't a pass or fail kind of test.

Nicci  gave us a protocol to follow that would show how much fat and how many carbohydrates I burned at different power intensities and heart rate.  I found it interesting that the test didn't require any hard efforts.  Basically I pedaled along for a certain amount of time and then we increased the power.  As we increased the power my heart rate would either stay steady or rise.

While I didn't know what my results were showing I did know that at some point I would go from burning fat at a decent rate to burning mostly carbohydrates.  Once that happens you're on your way to Bonkville unless you get the proper fuel.   The whole idea around MET is get your body to burn more fat for fuel at higher intensities so you don't have to consume so many calories during the event.



Here's picture of Jeff, Dean and me during my testing. 

Results:
The testing gave us some really good information and provides a starting point for my training.  Nicci and I talked about what the results mean and what steps I should take moving forward.  My gut told me, and the test confirmed, that I was a carb burning machine which explains the lovely tire around my waste.   I hold onto fat, I don't burn it as much as I should/could.

Nicci gave me a great outline of what type of foods I need to eat and how to fuel my workouts.  I started making changes to my nutrition last week and already feel a difference.  I don't feel bloated, my energy is good, and my workouts are going well.  So far so good.




No comments:

Post a Comment